Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Cucalorus


I went to Cucalorus every day from Thursday to Sunday. I became a volunteer for the festival, which resulted in me getting a Pegasorus pass. I had short shifts and made sure I had plenty of time to see at least 5 showings, for the sake of this class…I went to 10. On Thursday, I went to my 2:00 volunteer shift, which lasted an hour, after that I went to my first three screenings, which were: Son of Clowns, the Emperor Shrimp block, and She’s Allergic to Cats. The Son of Clowns film was filmed in Raleigh, where my family lives, and so I spoke with the filmmaker after the film and talked about Raleigh, a friend of mine who appeared in the film,  The following day I went to the Wandering the Sphere panel, after my shift with the Virtual Realty set-up at Expo 216, which was then followed by the screening of Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 Film, The Shining. I stayed for the Q&A following the film, in which the audience go to talk with Kubrick’s daughter, Vivian, as well as Garrett Brown (inventor of the Steadicam and camera op of the film) and Joe Dunton. After the Q&A, I was able to get a picture with Vivian, and a couple of my friends (which I thought was insanely awesome). The next day, Saturday, I had another volunteer shift which was to be a survey coordinator, during a screening. The screening was the Elephant Seal short block, which happened to contain a film by Dave Monahan. I enjoyed the film and thought it was great to another film made by one of the professors at my school. The following screenings I saw that day were Slash, which almost reminded me of 2007’s Juno in a weird sort of way and the Convulsions block. The film, Gwilliam, that was in the block was, I can honestly say, the first film to make me almost throw up (I did in my mouth a little). The last day, Sunday, I went to one (and my last) screening which was a Dutch film called, Moos. The film was a light-hearted comedy and (style-wise) reminded me of 2002’s My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment