Monday, September 5, 2016

Synesthesia

With synesthesia, I recall hearing about it years ago. I had come across article segments about artists, specifically musicians, that have it, but did not look into it any further. It wasn’t until we talked about it in class that I learned about it in detail and how it works. One music artist, that has emerged in recent years, that I had read about that has a form of it is British singer, Charli XCX. She can see sounds as colors and has stated that "I see music in colours. I love music that's black, pink, purple or red - but I hate music that's green, yellow or brown."* After talking about the condition in class, I had not only recalled the reading about Charli XCX and her sound to color synesthesia. But, it had occurred to me that I may have it myself. It isn’t letters, words, or numbers in color, but for as long as I can remember, I have seen letters and numbers of having their own gender. Numbers, such as 1, 2 and 3, are male and numbers, such as 4, 8 and 9, being female. As for letters, the letter ‘A’ is female and the letter ‘B’ is male. It is something started looking into after class.

*Savage, Mark. "Charli XCX: Pop, punk and synaesthesia." BBC News. 12 December 2013. Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment